Topic for the day: Computers use encryption to keep our data secure, but what does that mean?
We’re going to start today’s lesson by watching the following Khan Academy video about encryption. We will be referring to the entire cryptography lesson on Khan Academy for the next two tech seminar lessons.
It is essential for you to become an educated user of the Internet to help you protect your data and to keep from becoming a victim of identity theft. Today we’re going to learn about some old techniques for creating and decoding encrypted messages called ciphers.
Use the Internet as your research resource to answer the first four questions. To answer the next six questions, you will first need to decode the questions using what you know about Caesar and Alphabet Reversal Ciphers. All but one of the questions from 5-10 are either a Caesar Cipher or an Alphabet Reversal Cipher. It is up to you to determine what encryption scheme is used with each phrase. The “super challenging” question uses an incredibly random ciphering pattern.
To answer the questions, use the available decoding tools here: http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/
NOTE: You will not only need to decode these questions, but you will need to answer them in your blog post. The answers to the encrypted questions can be found at the following web site: https://sites.google.com/a/students.da.org/us-student-tech-resources/laptop-1-1
You will need to login to your DA Google account to view the answers to these questions.
FOR QUESTIONS 5-10, make sure you answer them. Don’t just translate the question!
- Define the term encryption.
- Provide at least three modern applications of encryption that affect your life on a daily or weekly basis.
- List four major US corporations that have had publicized data breaches of user information (credit cards, etc.) that have occurred in the last four years.
- What is the difference between a Caesar cipher and an Atbash cipher?
- Sld wl blf xszmtv gsv wvhpglk krxgfiv lm blfi WZ ozkglk?
- Lmxv R tzrm zwnrm kirerovtvh lm nb ozkglk, nzb R rmhgzoo urov hszirmt kiltiznh orpv YrgGliivmg?
- Cryevn iye sxcdkvv cypdgkbo eznkdoc grox zbywzdon pbyw Kzzvo?
- Dszg zkkorxzgrlm hslfow blf fhv gl rmhgzoo li fkwzgv zmb zkkilevw hlugdziv lm blfi ozkglk?
- Oy oz giikvzghrk lux yzajktzy zu vaz yzoiqkxy ut znkox JG rgvzuvy?
- SUPER CHALLENGING QUESTION: Hhpm oehlzgbxbhr stjkf ce tkw nocmscls fj zsnk lrkk deqke zzpn nhig wxkisrte hibce va roqfpcixr ig yfys ptixfi?